Sunday, August 2

{Guest Post by Offbeat YA} An Interview From Across the Ocean


Hello sweeties. For today's Summer Blogger Promo Tour post we have Roberta from Offbeat YA here with us. Roberta and I (Veronika) made an interview together about blogging from a non-English speaking country. Both of us asked 4-4 questions. Today we're answering the ones I asked, hope you'll enjoy. 

Want to see the first part of the interview? Head over to Offbeat YA and check it out HERE.





Have you ever felt like your writing style is not good enough for English speaking bloggers?


Roberta: I’ve been fascinated by the English language since I was a kid, and even graduated in English Language and Literature - but that is no guarantee when it comes to making the occasional (or maybe more than occasional) mistake. Second languages acquired as an adult are always problematic. I might probably not trick anyone into believing English is my mother tongue, but I feel confident that my readers - and fellow bloggers - can understand my message and forgive a slip here and there…Also, with every book and blog that I read, I’m learning something more - and I like to think it reflects on my writing!

Veronika: Sometimes I feel like everyone is using English in a better, more expressive way than I do, so, yes I’ve felt this way before. It’s hard not to when I’m following all these awesome bloggers who have unique voices, writing styles and spotless grammar. I’m trying to overcome this but it’s hard for me not to compare my work to others’, more so when a few mistakes slip in even after triple checking my posts. 


What is the hardest thing for you in blogging from a not English speaking country?


R: Well, aside from having to check my writing twice or thrice the times an English speaking blogger does (see above), my biggest problems are of a more concrete kind…I can’t get physical copies from authors (and as for eARCs, it’s not like they’re handled left and right either to us European bloggers, unless we are in the “big guys” league). I can’t go to signings or book events. Basically, I can’t get into the swing of things. Even my bookish friendships are all virtual of course, while most bloggers have physically met with others from their “tribe” at some point. I don’t feel isolated though, because there’s no country snobbery in the book-blogging world. There’s always another blogger who’s willing to chat, and if your blog succeeds in growing big enough, you will get a few advanced copies too. It only takes a bit more time and patience…

V: What I miss the most is the opportunity to go to author signings and meet up with fellow bloggers and readers. My friends read but I’ve never met with an avid reader like myself in real life, which makes me feel kind of lonely. Due to the shipping rates I can’t participate in events such as #OTSPSecretSister or any of the Christmas Secret Santa things, either. And of course, there are all the missed giveaways due to them not being international. I swear to you, shipping should be freaking free. Another thing is that publishers are reluctant to send physical copies out of the US, Canada or GB, more so if you’re not in the big leagues.

 Do you read translated books or do you read in English? Is it hard for you to find all the English books (in physical copy) you would like to purchase?


R: Like I explained above, the YA books I’m reading and reviewing are all in English (minus a few I bought when I wasn’t blogging yet). Physical copies are usually easy to locate thanks to an Italian online bookstore that also holds a wide selection of books in other languages. It lets its customers pay cash on delivery, too, which is a real blessing. The real problem comes when a book is not published physically, because said bookstore doesn’t have ebooks in English, and I can’t shop from Amazon and the likes because I don’t have a credit card…

V: I read both. I prefer my books in English but sometimes they cost too much so I check if that title is published in Hungarian or not. There isn’t a huge demand in Hungary for English books so there is a small selection of books, which is another reason why I still read translated books.

Have you ever wished that you'd started blogging in your own language?


R: Never. Because, like I said, the very reason why I started blogging in the first place involved books in a foreign language. Also, I don’t think there’s a big market for YA books in Italy (or maybe the adults who do read them haven’t been “coming out” yet!), so I doubt I’d have many readers. Not that I have a ton as it is…but if I were blogging in Italian, I’d have probably thrown the towel a long time ago!


V: No, never. I met so many amazing and colorful people from around the world, all thanks to blogging in English. I’m not even sure the Hungarian blogging community is that sympathetic to me, not to hurt anyone’s feelings. I heard quite a few bad things about it but I’m holding off my judgment because I don’t know this for sure… What I’m sure of is that I’d not exchange my blog, my audience and my co-blogger for anything.

If you enjoyed this interview as much as we did, go ahead and check out Roberta's blog: 



8 comments:

  1. Congrats - the graphics are spot on! and I really enjoyed doing this double interview with you. I hope we can arrange something that involves Ruzaika too next time :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really enjoyed it too! I sure hope we can. :)

      Delete
  2. You guys, this post is awesome! I'm fluent in Italian (even though I'm an American!) so even if Roberta stuck to an Italian blog she'd definitely still have a follower. :-) This was such an awesome post!!! -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica! Haha, I'll sure let Roberta know of that. :)

      Delete
    2. I only saw this today! Thank you Jess! (or grazie mille haha). It's great that you're fluent in Italian.

      Delete
  3. I GET IT ALL OF IT. I'm from a spanish speaking country, and I totally agree that one of the most 'boo' downsides is the difficulty to attend book signings and meet authors and other bloggers. Glad to have discovered more international bloggers! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to accept that no author would come to Hungary but it's VERY hard! And without other bloggers it feels lonely. :( Hope we'll be able to chat some more sometime. :)

      Delete
    2. I'm all for chatting too ;) *waves to Pamela*.

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)